Contractor charged for cheating customers | News
SPARTA, Mich. (WZZM)- A West Michigan contractor is facing charges for not delivering on projects he's already been paid for. 13 On Your Side reported on Jason Cooper twice before and now prosecutors are taking action.
Cooper is charged with taking money under false pretenses. A homeowner in Sparta says she paid him thousands of dollars but Cooper never came back to do the work.
June Brace says Cooper called her late last year, offering to give her an estimate on roof work at her home in Sparta.
Cooper said his business was named AJK Home Improvement. He was going to install a new roof and build and extension off the front of the house. In April 2012, Brace hired Cooper and gave him $3,600. By June, Brace says the work still hadn't begun.
"We started investigating, we should have before. It was our fault-- his addresses didn't exist."
13 On Your Side has done two different stories on Cooper. The first was about Sharon Nelson, in Walker, who said Cooper did shoddy work and never completed the other jobs. At the time, he had several complaints with the Better Business Bureau.
About three months later in Wyoming, Sally George said she gave Cooper money for a fence and some work on her doors, but he never showed up to do it.
"I don't know how people can do that to other people-- I really don't. I don't understand that," says George. She's is in the process of filing a police report.
Brace already filed a report with the Sparta Police Department. The Kent County Prosecutor's office charged Cooper with false pretenses with intent to defraud.
Brace says, "He's getting away with it. It's not fair. If he spends some time in jail, he needs to be stopped."
Upcoming Events near Sparta
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Rockford students suspended for e-cigarette possession
- My Town Rockford: Volunteers needed for insect identification project
- Hope College players help Miracle League with Spring Training
- My Town Rockford: Toy store participating in Read Across America Day
- Rockford 5th graders dress as wax statues for fundraiser
- My Town Walker: Humane Society of West Michigan up for $100K adoption challenge
- Police close U.S. 131 ramp due to car fire
- My Town Walker: Public to weigh in on daycare proposal March 5
- My Town Walker: IHOP to serve up free pancakes March 4
- My Town Walker: Public hearing March 5 for daycare center project