Sable Homes to build 20 new homes to help spur Sparta's economy | Business
SPARTA, Mich. – Rockford-based Sable Homes announced Thursday that construction on their newest development will begin in late September.
The land, located in the Village of Sparta near the intersection of North State and East Division, will feature 20 homes, along with a new model and housing design center which will help continue the economic growth in downtown Sparta.
“Recently, Sparta has seen substantial growth in the residential, commercial and industrial sectors,” said John Bitely, president of Sable Homes. “We want to help stimulate this growth by bringing families downtown and boosting the village economy.”
Sable Homes reached out to the community via Facebook and Twitter to solicit help naming its new development opening in downtown Sparta. After nearly a month of followers submitting ideas and voting for their favorite by “liking” other suggestions, the development was coined "Central Town Square."
“By involving the community in the naming of this property, we’re able to help ensure this development reflects their spirit,” said Bitely. “We encouraged the community to suggest names that tied back into the former school as a way to preserve its memory and harken back to a place that played a profound role in the lives of many residents.”
The name Central Town Square provides a nostalgic connection to Sparta’s former Central School which once sat on the site of the development property. Other suggested names included, "Academy Square", "Sable Central", "Old School Center" and "Central Square."
"We value infill in the village to achieve greater economies of scale for our services and in the end save tax payers money,” said Martin Super, Sparta Village Manager. “It’s a testament to our progress that Sable is investing here by building 20 new, quality homes right in downtown. This project will help facilitate our continued growth.”
Sable will begin the development with three homes and base the speed of construction for the rest of the development on the time it takes the homes to sell.
Upcoming Events near Sparta
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Cannon Township: Pando looks to expand its slopes
- Rockford students suspended for e-cigarette possession
- My Town Rockford: Volunteers needed for insect identification project
- Hope College players help Miracle League with Spring Training
- My Town Rockford: Toy store participating in Read Across America Day
- My Town Walker: Humane Society of West Michigan up for $100K adoption challenge
- Police close U.S. 131 ramp due to car fire
- My Town Walker: Public to weigh in on daycare proposal March 5
- My Town Walker: IHOP to serve up free pancakes March 4
- My Town Walker: Public hearing March 5 for daycare center project